The cities of El Puerto de Santa María, Jerez
de la Frontera and Sanlúcar de Barrameda are
the comer points of a geographical triangle which limits
the Sherry County, also known as "El Marco".
Sherry County spreads over a surface of about
10,550 hectares of vineyards. Its soil, a chalky
composition of earth called "albariza"
where the best vines grow, is of organic origin
from the sedimentation of waters of an inland
sea which covered the County in the Oligocene
The first vines planted in the Sherry County,
according to Avieno -a Roman historian-, were
brought by the Phoenicians towards the year 1100
BC who also founded the city of "Xera"
In the year 138 BC with the conquer of the County by
Escipion "El Emiliano", a flow of sherry wine
exports to Rome lasting over 400 years took place. Even
at this early stage in history, the first quality controls
were established by the Romans who requested all amphorae's
containing Sherry Wine to be marked with four "A"s.
The Arabs settled in the County from 711 until 1264
AD. They renamed the town as "Sherish", hence
the English word Sherry by which the British, who have
been buying Sherry ever since the 11th century, know
Following the discovery of America, trading with the
Indies began and the city of El Puerto de Santa María
played a very important role in this commerce mainly
due to its location at the mouth of the Guadalete River.
Ships sailed from its Port and numerous palaces were
built by the "Cargadores a Indias" (wine traders
who carne from places like, Naples, Genoa, England,
Likewise, big investments took place in the Sherry County
towards the end of the 17th century when English, Scottish,
French and Dutch investors established their own wineries
thus emphasising the international reputation of our
wines which are presently protected by the Jerez-Xérès-Sherry
Denomination of Origin.
Click on the image
to open our photo gallery section